Friday, June 8, 2012

June 8...just one more day until arrival in Santiago de Compostella


My first morning out before daylight



At the 100 K marker

The countryside in Galacia
Granaries in Galacia where we are now
I have so much to say but first will note that it is me, Susan writing of my camino. I shall leave it to Richard to write his own thoughts as we are now on slightly different paths. A bit of review since my last post. We started out after our rest without packs and walked for one week from Leon to Villafranca and things were going very well for me but Richard was having discomfort due to his sciatic problem in his leg. The last day was a very hot day and very long and I guess it was just too much so after a few days off we decided together to take the bus to Sarria which is the closest point to the last 100 kilometers of the Camino. Here are pictures of our last week walking together. From Sarria we decided together that I would walk solo and he would take the time off for himself and that we would both be OK with not having to do what the other wanted. If he walked, he would have done it for me and if I did not walk, I would have done it for him. This compromise was perfect as we could be ourselves and follow our own camino.
A view on the way to Cruz de Ferro
friends along the camino
one of my new friends from Spain

Cruz de Ferro ... the place where
pilgrims bring stones from their
home towns to place in this now
very large pile of rocks. It was
a moving moment as one could
feel the spirit of the thousands of
pilgrims who have walked this path

Richard placing his stones

my two heart stones....one from NC and
one from Mexico

typical small town....one of so many
we have walked through

We are in cherry country in Spain


Richard´s red bandana

Villafranca

massage in our albergue in Villafranca -
painful but helpful for sure. No pain since then!

Rose garden in Villafranca

Dance fiesta in Villafranca

Monestery in Sarria
For the last few days I have left the albergue very early...usually before 6 so that in case it was hot I would be finished before it was too hot. Instead, it has been cool and one morning pouring rain. Each morning brought me a new adventure as it was a bit earie being alone in the dark. It is also hard to find the yellow arrows when it is dark (though I do have my headlamp). As I have mentioned, the camino always provides what is needed so each day a different camino angel appeared and we helped each other navigate the darkness until daylight. The first day was Marcel from France who spoke no English and had no headlamp. Since it was my first day I was really nervous in the woods in the dark so we walked together silently for over one hour and then when off on our own. The second day was another man from France, though much older than me (probably close to 80). He did not have a clue where to go but with my headlamp we found our way and then smiled and thanked each other in French and Spanish and we have seen each other for the next few days and always a smile for each other. Then yesterday I started out and within 5 minutes came a big downpour and I came upon Elizabeth from Spain and we walked together for several hours. We almost got lost at first but she had a phone and called someone to help us figure out our way out of Palas de Rei. Now we see each other and I have met her friends and she has met Richard and we feel very connected because of our rainy morning together figuring our way in the dark. So....my lessons....I love adventure and have looked forward to each morning and what it will bring; I am not afraid as I have faith that things will work out; I like being alone on my walks as I can go at my pace and talk when I want to and be alone when I want to; I am stronger than I thought I was and my determination to finish this camino was important to me (as long as my body was able). I have completely recovered from my earlier shin problems and arrive every day feeling great with no aches or pains. I am grateful for this, for sure.

I am also very grateful that Richard has given me this gift to travel my own camino as it was important to me. We have much to talk about each day with regards to letting go as he needed to let go of his worry about me and I needed to let go of  my worry about him. Now we are stronger as a team as we are learning a few new things about ourselves and each other.

I feel sure that more lessons are coming after more thought and some time of rest. I have written a journal everyday and look forward to reviewing it for my important thoughts. Right now I am excited for tomorrows arrival and for the Sunday mass for Peregrinos in the large cathedral. We have made some new friends from Australia and will see them in Santiago as well. In fact we hope to see several of the folks we have passed along the way. We will head to Finestere (the coast) for a day and then go meet our friend Helen from NC in Burgos and travel with her to Barcelona before returning to US at the end of June.

Stay tuned for Richard´s thoughts and for our final days of this trip in the next blog.

Thanks to you all for sending updates about your lives as it is so important to us to keep connected with all of you. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment