Monday, May 21, 2012

Monday morning in Burgos...rest days


We are now in Burgos for a few days of rest. Several days ago I began to have significant pain in my shins and my left knee which led to some swelling. On Sat. Rich and Mei Mei walked to Belorado and Richard and I took a bus and went off to a clinic to have my knee looked at. I was advised by the Dr. to stay off of it for a few days which I am doing. Yesterday (Sun) we all took a bus to Burgos and are staying in a lovely hotel which is so luxurious after days on the camino. I am taking Ibuprofeno, anti imflammatory creme on the knee and a brace (elastic) when I walk which I am doing very little of. Yesterday I stayed in while the rest went to a museum about Darwin, history of man, etc. Nearby Burgos a human was discovered of over  800,000 years old. You will have to get more details from them about this museum.

In Belorado....a cold and rainy Sunday

Typical Camino sign

snail on flower




 


Today I am feeling a bit better and I have readjusted my thinking greatly about this Camino in the last few days. I will honor my body and do what I have to do, not what I necessarily want to do. They say that the Camino gives you much to think about and this is a good lesson for me. I am learning  to lower my demands upon myself and with the help of others (especially Richard who is so supportive, caring and a caretaker) we will plan accordingly to do what we need to do. It might mean taking buses when necessary and/or having someone carry my pack once in a while, and/or walking less kilometers each day......more will be revealed!

We have already walked over 200k so feel good about our accomplishments and the lifestyle seems to suit us as we look forward each day to the new little village, albergues, friends that come and go, the little shops for food.

I will post a few more pictures to explain the last week with Rich and Mei Mei...we have seen great scenery and spent time in some very interesting places.

Always a yellow marker or a scallop shell
to mark the way.
Richard having his blisters worked on.
The spanish way of treating is to enter
a thread with a needle, through the blister
keeping the thread in for a few days to drain
the blister. At this time, they are both healed!

Yea....vegetarian Paella in Logrono

The famous street in Logrono with
all the ¨tapas¨or ¨Pincho¨ bars

another scallop to mark our route

a long fence with many crosses
placed by pilgrims into the fence

always beautiful scenery

Coming into a small village

When arriving early we all
have to place our packs in a line
and wait for the albergues to
open.

shoes always kept outside
till morning.

a mirrored window with
scenery

fields of grain and poppies

crossing the river...interesting
plant formations

2wo  Happy Ricardos

Passing a potato factory along an industrial
section of the camino....see the potatoes
coming down the chute.

Our accomodations a few days
ago...on the floor in a chapel. At
least we were early enough to
get a mat. Later folks were right
on the floor

The makings of an outdoor meal...all bought
from the simple grocery store...asparagus, beans, cheese,
tomato, apple, bread, nuts, chips, sardines

Happy Birtday breakfast for
a peregrina at the church albergue

Tonight is our last night with Rich and Mei Mei. We ate lunch at a great VEGAN restaurant here in Burgos and have found a few more places to go tomorrow. We will rest till Wed and see how things go. So, we wish Rich and MM bien viaje for Barcelona and we will stay in touch with all of you as the weeks move on. Love to all from Ricardo y Susanita


2 comments:

  1. Susan - I think you have learned a great lesson about listening to your body. Please take good care of yourself.
    Love, Marni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Susan y Ricardo,

    NIce to have some news from Spain. It seems you are enjoying everything over there...walk, food, friends, sceneries etc... in spite of your knee problem. I hope this will not prevent you from carrying on the Santiago. Take care of yourself anyway.
    keep in touch
    un beso fuerte
    chantal

    ReplyDelete