Sunday, May 23, 2010

Meditation and Vegetables

I can't say that we meditate on a regular basis but we have moments while in quiet surroundings that are special. Here I am in a canyon in the botanical garden. Every other Saturday I walk with my friend Agnes and we take two stops along the way for quiet meditation. It is a very special time for me. My other moments of such focus are at yoga classes and while doing artwork. I would like to get the same focus on my spanish vocabulary words!








Here is Richard in his meditation mode - at the Parque Juarez where he takes a half hour of juggling while I do my speedwalking with Marcia. Richard is also able to focus in this way at meditation class as well as yoga class. I have much to learn from him about focus and meditation.

Have you ever seen an artichoke growing? They are in the thistle family. This week I walked to the organic garden and bought an amazing pile of beautiful vegetables - all for under $5.00. Included were artichokes, beets, beet greens, fennel, dill, basil, lettuce, leeks, broccoli and cauliflower. We also bought purslane which I have eaten cooked and raw. It is a weed in the US but seems to be a veggie with one of the highest amounts of omega 3 fatty acids - something new for our repetoire.




Yesterday at the Botanical Garden there was a Nopal Festival - the main cactus of the area. There were loads of items, all made from nopal. I bought nopal pasta and small breads made of nopal. I had a delicious salad of nopal and potato served in a blue corn tortilla. Agnes had a cake and pizza made with nopal. There were so many more items. I never realized the variety of ways it can be used.





No comments:

Post a Comment